adbright

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Just the bass player

Just the bass player

fiction
Edward w Pritchard

a back up blues singer plays with blues great Lightening Hopkins on tour tonight

start:

The bass player sets the beat. I'm working hard here Lightening.

You lead Lightening, I follow. Please don't glare at me while we play live; it's hard to play bass when you play rhythm, lead, bass too and slap that guitar while you confidently compose poetry night after night.

Let me sit in the back, off center stage and let me set the beat for the audience, for them, we don't all have your inspiration. They came tonight to be entertained for an hour, that's all. Let's work together to make music.

They say you were born of the devil Lightening. You got your inspiration at birth and the blues just flow out of you. Don't glare at me Lightening through those dark sunglasses and from under your white bowler hat.

Doff your hat to me Lightening, rock back and forth and I'll try to keep up tonight.

I enjoy it when you compose on stage. I am a fan of yours too Mr. Hopkins.

My name, don't matter, I am just the bass player.

No comments:

Post a Comment