adbright

Saturday, December 21, 2013

youngest child, wisest child

youngest child, wisest child

fiction
Edward w Pritchard

When Uncle Gino passed away suddenly up in the third floor attic bedroom every one kept busy with the preparations for the funeral. Being the youngest I was as unusual left out of things.

Wanting to help I crept up into the third floor bedroom where uncle Gino used to tell me stories about his day as a jockey at the harness tracks in Ohio and used one of his old white socks to dust the Bible my Mother had laid on the nightstand near the bed over a year ago. I ruined the sock but I tossed it out in the garbage afterward and no one was the wiser. I never mentioned about the Bible but our Minister went up in the third floor bedroom later the night Uncle Gino died and at the funeral he never mentioned a dusty bible and that would be just the kind of thing a Minister of our religion would center a funeral sermon on.

I have always secretly known that I was the wisest of my parents five children.

No comments:

Post a Comment