adbright

Thursday, December 19, 2013

still waiting for my christmas card from Minneapolis

still waiting for my Christmas card from Minneapolis

part 2 first, then repost edit part 1

My mailbox got knocked down so I might have missed the Christmas card from Minneapolis. I am not sure if the mailman in his racing truck across the snow covered roads took it back to his supervisor at the post office to hold or if he just tossed the Christmas Card out of his truck at the end of his shift. It gets dark early here just South of Cleveland in Mid December and the roads stay snow covered for weeks at a time. When the snow plows dart about they make sparks and the noise wakes me up at 5AM when their shift starts.

I got one Christmas card so far. It's from my Aunt who is a good Christian and always sends cards to friends and relatives who live da solo, if you speak Italian you know da solo means to live by one's self  and you know she sends me the cards every Holiday throughout the year because I am e tanto solo which means he is so lonely. Naturally since I don't send Christmas cards I don't get any; it didn't use to matter but now it's nice to get a card in the mailbox rather than threatening notices.

Tom Waits' song "Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis" is so soulful. It's poignant to hear at Christmas if you are e tanto solo. I like it better than "Blue Christmas" recorded by just about everybody.

end part 2

Part 1
previously posted

fiction
Edward w Pritchard

digressions on a song by Tom Waits

fiction
edward w pritchard

I 've never been to Minneapolis. Never visited the twin cities or the land of Lakes. I don't have any friends there at all who might send me a Christmas card. I envy the singer Tom Waits who has friends in Minneapolis who send him Christmas cards; like in his song "Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis."

Down here in Cleveland it's not so cold in winter. Hookers down here, around Cleveland they don't write much. They aren't too friendly either and Hookers here around Cleveland, Ohio are not too sentimental. They don't send Christmas cards and they don't keep in touch.

Someday maybe around Christmas I can go up to Minneapolis and meet some new friends.
end

No comments:

Post a Comment