adbright

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Tesla at the Pennsylvania hotel

Tesla at the Pennsylvania hotel

fiction
edward w pritchard

My oldest son and his daughter, and my youngest son and I four or five years ago took a train to New York city and stayed at the Pennsylvania hotel. While we were in NYC my youngest son and I went to the Metropolitan museum to see the great art while my oldest son and his daughter hung out in NYC having a grand old time.

The Pennsylvania hotel was a once majestic hotel now suffering from the demises of age and lack of investment but it had a lot of character and many many rooms once inhabited by the very rich. We very much enjoyed our stay there at the Pennsylvania and the faded glory of our room, actually a room and a half for a modest price [for NYC].

Recently I was checking out on the internet the imagined IQ of George Orwell the writer whose essays I was reading about one Saturday night during a severe snowstorm here in Ohio. While researching the IQ of Orwell I did a little reading on another very high IQ genius Nicola Tesla the inventor.

I came to find out from my reading that Nicola Tesla the inventor was not only thought to be a genius of IQ plus 185 but he had once stayed extended stay style in NYC at the Pennsylvania hotel back in the 1930's. Apparently Tesla was quite eccentric and often moved from one fine NYC hotel to the next often without paying his bills and while residing in his hotel room Tesla had a bad habit of be-friend-ing injured NYC pigeons who were incapacitated and unable to live in the local parks.

While I found it interesting that Tesla once stayed at the Pennsylvania hotel in NYC where I once stayed with my oldest grand daughter and two of my sons something else troubles me about my new knowledge of two geniuses Nicola Tesla and George Orwell.  Looking at a half dozen lists of possible highest IQ persons throughout history no women were listed. How can I explain that to my grand daughters if they ask me about that after reading this blurb about the Pennsylvania hotel in NYC?

1 comment:

  1. dad - this is a great post. you are a good writer, and your writing has gotten better as you have maintained this blog for all these years now. i have fond memories of being at the HOtel Pennsylvania with you zak and Bella. it was a magical trip, especially travelling there by train. BTW, Olga and I stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania when we got married in NYC. it was such a good memory for us. Keep up the good writing

    ReplyDelete