adbright

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

unknown author reviews "der tod in vendig" by Thomas Mann

unknown author reviews " der tod in vendig" by Thomas Mann

fiction
edward w pritchard

Below is the attempt by unknown author to review " der Tod in Vendig" aka "death in Venice "by German author Thomas Mann.

Pritchard begins: Aschenbach an aging writer with writer's block health is suffering and he decides to travel to Venice and sit at the beach. While there he sees an beautiful 14 yer old boy in a sailor's suit and spends several days follow the boy about with his eyes. In an attempt to be more attractive Aschenbach dons a jet black wig, smears himself with stage makeup, polishes his false teeth and buys expensive foppish new clothes. Lastly unable to rise successfully from a deck chair at the beach the writer dies.

traditionally the story by Mann ends here: a commentary on death and beauty in the ancient Greek tragic sense

but Pritchard takes it further and asks what happened to the body?

Pritchard adds an unusual suggested ending to Mann's famous novel

why didn't Mann spend a few pages walking the reader through the practical matter of what happened to Ashenbach's body after he expired. Who carried old Ashenbach away and where did they ultimately leave him?

Below is Pritchard's suggested ending to Thomas Mann's famous short story novel "Death in Venice"

ornery author with no beer in the house in a cold freeze

fiction
Edward w Pritchard

repost/ edit

Recycling- repost
author liked this and posted it again, and now again

for my brothers


Here in Louisville, Ohio  we are very environmentally conscious. That's why I am taking my brother Few to be recycled. It's not the money.

Few died last night. Everyone will miss Few.

Green movement or not I will not pay the transport fee. In it's obsession with taxation my township has imposed a transport fee on bringing bodies in for recycling. At the recycling center, right next to the canister for broken glass and old papers is a chemical reducer to return a body to it's original elements. Few would understand why I decided to have him recycled. Life is expensive and Few is dead; my Brother would understand me saving a few bucks on his burial and it's PC and environmentally responsible to recycle him.

I put my brother Few in the backseat of the car and we are just now pulling into the recycle facility. I didn't wrap my brother Few in a plastic trash bag, that would be wrong. Plastic bags take a long time to decompose. All of the containers are green here except the chemical reducer which is a very soft shade of blue. Like moonlight after a storm at sea. I stripped old Few of his clothes and dumped him into the blue chemical reducer. It gave a whirl and there was a whiff of sea water and then old Few was decomposed.

I think I will hire the minister on duty over there in the trailer to perform a brief service. Few was my Brother after all. Few would have liked the idea of the smell of the ocean, he always liked fishing and fishing always called for a couple of beers. I will use some of the recycling money I received from the County to send old Few off properly with a couple of cold beers down at Donley's Lakeside Inn. I'll sit by the window and watch the moon shine across the Lake. Old Few would have liked that.    

No comments:

Post a Comment