adbright

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wiemar Germany is where my heart finds fellowship/draft 1, part 3

Wiemar Germany is where my heart finds fellowship/draft 1, part 3

fiction
edward w pritchard

My Brother Han's crying is disturbing Lotte. Hans must think it's ok to cry because the sound of the driving rain on the roof and winds here at the fishing cottage will drown out his sobs. He is the older Brother, and he has full rights to use the Cottage any time he wants to. Han's is disturbing Lotte. Lotte doesn't sleep well anymore and we left Berlin to have some peace and quiet. Just Lotte and me, no other partners tonight.

Hans left his uniform in the hall. I can smell the hate on the uniform from here in the bedroom as I hold Lotte. Hans is a storm trooper, a brown shirt. Grandfather says in World War One storm troopers bought a bill of goods from the officers, to get them to charge the enemy trenches after the German cause was doomed. I smell the hate and fear on Han's uniform. Lotte is sleeping fitfully. She jumps violently in her sleep as I hold her. She must be dreaming of Berlin. Hans is sobbing quietly now. It's near dawn now here on the Lake, lights will be coming on soon in the other cottages as our neighbors start their breakfasts.
end part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment