adbright

Sunday, November 17, 2013

an apparition always arrives after midnight after a long wind storm outside

an apparition always arrives after midnight after a long wind storm outside

fiction
edward w Pritchard

Because of my low status as an author tonight's apparition that always arrives after midnight after a long wind storm outside has no name. The powers of darkness have sent a mere clerk from the world of darkness to speak with me. I take offense to the fact that the apparition that visits me tonight to scare me, or to fan the fires of my fears is just a clerk from the underworld not even important enough to have a name.

I am no Montaigne. Like him I set down to writing my observations on whatever suits my fancy. Unsystematically I survey the human condition. Unlike Monsieur Montaigne I am not well received as a writer. Financially, I am not recognized writer by reputation but rather known by lack of same. Also I am judged an impractical dreamer not a bona fide money producing author by eye rolling acquaintances. My friends and admirers, few, look on me writing as a cheap form of therapy hopefully an antidote to despair and melancholy.

Emerson or even Will Rogers as an essayist I approach not. Practical sound wisdom and advice in pithy sentences from me are not read by American Presidents or foreign dignitaries.

Still to have myself stoop to address this apparition who always arrives after midnight after a long wind storm who has no name himself is an insult to my dignity and I refuse to speak or listen to this nameless entity.

That's that I am going to sleep with out further delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment