adbright

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Hank Williams, stranded on the road to Canton, Ohio

Hank Williams, stranded on the road to Canton, Ohio

fiction
edward w Pritchard

Twice now I have given directions to the young man. The tall handsome Country western singer. He had been drinking and driving both times. He was driving a big new Cadillac, only the new Cadillac was a 1952. He was North his destination, five miles north of Canton, Ohio.

The man said he was Hank Williams. He was looking for the Palace Theatre in downtown Canton. I told him I saw the burlesque there in 1970. We bantered back and forth about the year, about past and future. I hated to be impolite but I think I convinced Hank that he had died long ago, in 1952. Hank Williams died on the road traveling to play in Canton, I said. His driver carted him around dead from Bristol Tennessee through West Virginia, up to Bluefield, the drivers carted him like Ma was carted after death  in the wagon in Faulkner's "As I lay Dieing." Hank was 61 years late for his engagement in Canton. That's a long time to travel about on the road looking for the Palace.

It was ironic I told Hank Williams, that he was driven north toward Canton, dead for hours and hours. Ironic that Hank who often sang " Some sweet morning I'll fly away" actually died in a vehicle racing up 77 North toward Canton, Ohio to sing at the Palace theatre. Hank didn't see the humor in the situation. To change the subject I told Hank I walked on the Appalachian trail down around Bluefield, WVA. We both agree the food at the diners down that way is very good. On that last trip for him though Hank hadn't eaten, him being in the backseat sitting stiffly dead. Sitting dead with his arms in place to hold a guitar.

Dead or not I enjoy Hank Williams music. Sad he had to die at only 29. Too bad Hank didn't make it to Canton, we could use another shrine up here, good for attracting tourists and all that.

end

No comments:

Post a Comment