adbright

Sunday, March 3, 2019

alone in London

alone in London

fiction
edward w pritchard

Why does a change or a mystery always have to start with the sound of an all night ambient rain storm? Alone in London to awaken suddenly to a constant continuous rain in an unfamiliar
hotel room is disconcerting. Glancing right two tea cups and a plate of biscuits are on the night stand.
Glancing left the space on the bed is empty and out the open window the foggy street below drips with the rain.

Staring and listening to the sound of the all night ambient rain I lay my left arm diagonally across the empty bedside toward the open window and instantly realize I am dreaming of being alone again in London. Looking right no tea cups are on the night stand. Looking left curtains cover the window.

It is raining outside. No one lays to my left so I fulcrum from the elbow my left hand back toward my heart and examine my knuckles up close in the darkness and listen to the steady rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment