adbright

Sunday, March 10, 2019

one doesn't hear much about organized crime these days

One doesn't hear much about organized crime these days

fiction
edward w pritchard

I follow with some interest the idea that organized crime from Sicily controls or influences American
business by using illegal actives to stay ahead of the competition. I once liked to read about Lucky Luciano when I was young and once I worked for an successful Italian family that ran a legitimate business and it was common for them to be accused more in jest than serious as having mob ties when they were successful. This despite the fact that they worked very hard and always tended to business. True the owners I worked for were loyal to their families, had a lot of dinner meetings over elaborate meals and were strict with their employees like me. Still I never saw or heard anything nefarious and I was in a position for a short time to view the inner workings of a small part of the business.

So it was with some interest I was planning last year to see the John Travolta Movie about John Gotti and Son that had premiered at the Cannes film festival. Alas the film got mediocre reviews and when I heard the show was shot in Cincinnati rather than NYC I decided not to see it.

A few years ago I did follow the organized crime trials in Philadelphia. However I was disappointed
when I read a bit of the indictment accusing the defendants of health care fraud, unconscionable charging of excess interest on loans and other normal business activities in addition to crime and violence. I imagine the Internet, chat rooms, face book and other technology along with RICO have made it hard for organized crime to operate and to have a loyal following of ordinary citizens who like to read about their exploits.

My favorite look at the Cosa Nostra comes from the Italian author Luigi Barzini in "the Italians".
It's a great book attempting to analyze and describe the idiosyncrasies of the entire Italian people.
It's a love/hate look at Italians and includes Barzini's take on Sicily and the Mafia in chapter 14. It's
worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment