adbright

Thursday, August 25, 2011

genealogy-part 2

genealogy-part 2

fiction
edward w pritchard

I have read maybe 25,000 obituaries and pieces of information about my dad's family; the Lowther's. Trying to trace my lineage backwards in time I became obsessed with the details of the long forgotten past.

You know what? No one ever notes that someone used to like to play the guitar before they died. Or, no one writes down for posterity that a wife kissed her dieing husband on the forehead ten seconds before he died. No one remembers to write down that Robert Lowther of Cork Ireland lost a hand in an accident with a boat anchor in 1868. These types of details only one who is unnaturally obsessed with the past learns. What good does it do to know such things about one's relatives? Absolutely no good can come of such knowledge. I am the example of that.
end part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment