adbright

Friday, August 26, 2011

It's not a long walk from Osage Wv over to Morgantown/Don't close 3500 rural post offices

It's not a long walk from Osage Wv over to Morgantown/Don't close 3500 rural post offices

fiction
edward w pritchard

It's not a long walk from Osage Wv over to Morgantown. Maybe eight miles distance. That's  a long way for me though; I don't speak English and Lithuanian people aren't always welcome everywhere around here.

I am a coal miner, got here in 1926, been here two years. I have to send money home; that's why I have to get to Morgantown to mail money home to Viktorija. I ususally just send money every week from the local post office here in Osage but I can't go there for now. The McGhee clan is after me. I was making advances at Boston McGhee's wife; I knew she was married but it's lonely here.

I send the money back to Lithuania so my girl Viktorija can come here and we can get married.

It was stupid me to put my arm around Boston McGhee's wife's waist over at the Scott's Run mission dance. Those McGhee's really stick together. They wouldn't dare attack me in the mine but I hear they have staked out the post office and general store in Osage. They love to fight. Rather than walk to Morgantown to the post office I think I will walk in the other direction to the post office in Purlsglove. There are a few Lithuanians at the mines over there; maybe they can help me if there's trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment