adbright

Saturday, April 19, 2014

missed the plane/ part 6

missed the plane/ part 6


fiction
Edward w Pritchard


My father's early employment history:
Social Studies 4A
Miss Martin/teacher
Eddie Pritchard/writer
October 23, 1962.

My father's early employment history:

My Father's father once played the organ at Buckingham Palace in England. Still as a Welshman, and like many Welshmen by the time he was twenty he ended up working as a coal miner. First in Wales and later in Morgantown, West Virginia where he eventually settled after World War One with his new family.

My Father graduated from high school at age sixteen and enrolled in the University Of Morgantown to study classical piano and violin, having started playing violin since age three. Still like many a young West Virginia lad my Father Edward was taken to the local coal mine by his Father Thomas where he, Thomas asked his boss to get his son, young Edward  a miners job to earn his keep while he studied. Several of my Father's Brother's already worked in the coal mines of Morgantown and except for the interruption of working and serving  as a soldier in World War two my father's brothers would be in the mines the rest of their working lives.

It was a family disgrace. My Father only made it in the coal mines half of one shift. The dark, dangerous, cramped dirty work was not for him. My Father was a tall man and he detested working in the coal mines. It was a Family disgrace until my Father was drafted in the US Air Force at age 19 and served his Country until the end of World War two.

While working as company clerk at an air corp unit in Guam my Father was involved in the unit that fitted the plane  Enola Gay in Guam with bomb holding deck modifications that helped in the first atomic bomb being dropped on Japan which ended the War early without the ordeal of a land invasion of Japan. Like many soldiers then my Father had many reservations later about atomic weapons when he saw photos on the horrible damage done by the atomic blasts.

The Morgantown ordinance was a large 875 acre industrial military complex built in Morgantown WVA in 1941 to produce deuterium oxide now known as heavy water which may have been used in the manufacturing process to create the atomic bomb fitted at Guam, deployed from North Field Tinian that destroyed the City of Hiroshima in Japan in 1945. Later that year after he was honorably released from the US Air force my Father was offered a chance to work on wrap up work at the Morgantown Ordinance for the military. My Father chose instead to return to University to study piano.

Unfortunately my father was unable to play piano or violin at a professional level after leaving the Air Force because of damage to his hearing inflicted by virus he suffered in the jungles of Guam. My father currently is a clerical worker at a trucking company in Akron, Ohio.

 My father will not discuss his involvement with the atomic bomb project at Guam in World War two to this day.

B+
good work Edward, you can succeed if you apply yourself
Miss Martin
end

No comments:

Post a Comment