adbright

Thursday, April 17, 2014

missed the plane/part 1

missed the plane/part 1

friction
Edward w Pritchard


The US military had a way of quickly bringing someone to their appropriate level of utility and efficiency. Everyone was weighed in the balance of their usefulness and value to their country's winning the war.

I felt the vibrating before I heard the roar of the goony bird taking off from Honolulu to Guam. It was the worse thing a soldier could have done. Worse than if the whole plane had been shot out of the sky by Japs. Better if I had been hit by a sniper on my first step off the plane upon arrival in Guam for the re invasion. I had missed the plane. My nineteen years of life so far were wasted. Disgraced. AWOL.

Everything was bustling and chaotic at the airport. Finally I found the proper desk.

The officer on duty was a captain, I think. He was Canadian Air force; we studied the ranks of Canadian air force in basic.

" Sir, I whispered saluting, Private Ed Pritchard reporting tardy for flight 14.

" you screwed up big time Wally" the Captain said without looking up. "sit over there with the dumb Lieutenant. The lieutenant obviously hung over had his head in a green bucket occasionally throwing up.

After waiting on the bench for an hour with Lieutenant Osborne the Canadian Captain  grilled and yelled at me a while and then gave me new orders.

I was to drive Lieutenant Osborne to Pearl Harbor. Captain Wilbur gave me a side arm and a silver M/P helmet. My job for the next three days was driver and body guard for Osborne.

Captain Wilbur sent me off with another " don't screw this up Wally" as he handed me the keys.
end part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment