adbright

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Unemployment; no talent no tap dance/ edit 2

Unemployment; no talent no tap dance/ edit 2

fiction
edward w pritchard

No talent, no tap dance; I had to slide and shuffle down the ramp near Kline's bar at the after party following  graduation. I had just became a certified barber  here in Juxston, fifty  miles to the East of Louisville, Ohio. I felt a fraud because I just couldn't seem to get the knack of cutting hair.

Five years later I was a bulldozer and heavy equipment operator in Canton, Ohio. Hubener trucking company, I got to take my 25 ton truck home after my shift; my landlord Mr. Owens didn't much like that but he was glad to get the rent paid on time for a few months. I hit the corner of Little Drop coffee shop with the back hoe, sacked again. Darn shootin, it's hard to make an honest living with no God given talent in America in 2104.

I remember exactly to the day when my employment problems started.

Napoleon's French army was about to enter Moscow. We Russians were leaving the City without a fight. Just like that on September 1st, or second I think, 1812, all us inmates of the madhouse there in Moscow were turned out. Just like that, to protect us from the French armies, I guess. But what was I to do, I had no talents, no God given skills, and along with others I was thought crazy because of it. Should I flee Moscow or wait for the benevolence of the French. I decided to go, Napoleon would be in a foul mood that we had not officially surrendered the City to his Majesty. Then what direction should I go, toward St. Petersberg, to find friends and allies or along the Smolensk road where Napoleon's grand armee  had come from after conquering most of Russia.

Well I escaped Napoleon's army but how shall I support myself now. Here in Central Ohio in 2014?

I've lost my Barber's license, what's to come of me? I need to focus, stop the dreaming and acquire some marketable skills.

No talent no tap dance I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment