adbright

Friday, March 21, 2014

the return of austerity, preparing for a return of the Cold War with Russia

the return of austerity, preparing for a return of the Cold War with Russia

fiction
Edward w Pritchard


As a boy the Russians were threatening the American way of life and to prepare to face the challenge I began a regiment of push ups and wind sprints. When I advised my friends to do the same they raced off on their bikes and yelled- paranoid.

Now half a century later Russia rattles their sword a bit and I again must prepare for the return of austerity by preparing for a return of the cold war with Russia.

As a start I will turn off my electric blanket at 6AM, mustn't waste energy. No more driving from restaurant to restaurant for components of my fast food meals either; Putin benefits if we squander gasoline. Maybe a return to my bike, five minutes a day on the stationary bicycle listening to patriotic American music on the headphones at the gym to find strength through joy.

No more Russian cultural admiration either. No Tolstoy, no 1812 overture and no caviar or borscht. No looking for Russian looking models in the men's magazines either.

American's eye all things Russian with suspicion. Our enemy is among us again. Do not read " Diary of a Madman" by the 19th century Ukrainian born Russian author Nikolai Gogol. We mustn't allow our enemies a chance to influence our thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment