adbright

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

one doesn't hear much about the French anymore

one doesn't hear much about the French much anymore

fiction
edward  w pritchard

Re: thoughts on ourselves as Americans

At least here in America where I live one doesn't hear much about the French anymore. Me being an avid reader and an art lover I am an exception to the current American habit of ignoring what the French en mass are up to for seldom does a day go by that I don't wish I were at the Louvre, find myself reading Montaigne for solace as in "to compose our character is our duty"or if I am walking along the Ohio canal wishfully transporting myself to Canal D'est from Saone to the Moselle. Alas it is unlikely I shall see France again.

If the Italians from Italy are in the news here in America it is for their peculiarities or love of the finer things in life such as driving a new Porsche 150 kilometers an hour along the roads linking the towns of the cinque terra or sailing their yacht from Malorca to  Positano. My it certainly is expensive to be Italian.

What must the French and Italians think of our American relationship with food? Cutting out subway, burger king or pizza hut coupons and getting your discounted order to go to eat in your car would be one thing  that a Frenchman or Italian could agree was not  "la bonne vie or da morire [to die for].

What do I know ? said Montaigne. Montaigne also said " it is folly to measure true or false by our own capacity." and also "there is another type of vainglory which is an over good opinion we form of our own good.

Americans " if we are Ceasar let us boldly judge our selves Captain of the world"[1] however if we are just another Country whose time at the top of the heap is limited let us be wise and humble. -and I am boldly preaching to our leaders here speaking ex cathedra as a citizen of the world
end

[1] all "quotes" from Montaigne as translated to English by Donald M Frame

No comments:

Post a Comment