adbright

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

walking the lonesome valley

walking the lonesome valley

fiction
edward w pritchard

Someday says blues man soft guitar thumping Mississippi John Hurt quoting words and music by Woody Guthrie "you have to walk that lonesome valley" a metaphor for yourself alone and expired at the end of time for you facing death stoically not fearfully. He continues no body else can walk it for you.

Being mindful relaxed and resigned I have started those first tentative steps. Though  you call my name I can't hear you anymore. It's not that my hearing is bad; would that I could turn and talk to you just once more. Anyway thanks for reaching and calling out one last time though I misunderstand and deceive myself about motives. I'll remember the echo of your voice as I walk.

With friends once I drank cheap wine and sang "you have to walk that lone some valley" fifty years ago youthful and strong dreaming of that amalgamation of feminine mystery that manifest itself once near me oh so briefly. Temporarily I forgot the words to the old song "you got to walk that lonesome valley" as engulfed in the affairs of the world I suffered, sinned and sleep walked forward
unconsciously arriving at the mysterious valley.

Gone in an instant with no looking back. Everything was so sweet, good, bad and indifferent. March forward faithful pilgrim we walk, we walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment