adbright

Sunday, October 16, 2011

dream loading part 2

see dream loading part one

fiction
edward w pritchard

Trying to communicate with one's subconscious is daunting. Like speaking with a woman it seems. This means that, and that will only be revealed much later. My subconscious has directed me to meditate on this piece I wrote before. The Father, the helot and the girl are apparently all parts of my subconscious looking to be integrated. As for the real girl  in the first story, my sub conscious says look to the [ xxxxxx  ], that's rather personal but I get the message loud and clear. Anyway here's what I wrote before. The named character's in my story are parts of ourselves. We chase ourself until we understand.


chasing his helot

fiction
edward w pritchard

A Spartan Father couldn't enjoy peace and quiet and wouldn't let anyone else either.
Kit's Father was more strict then normal toward his 11 year old Son because he fretted Kit didn't fit the mold required of young men of Sparta, here in Greece in 489bc.

Yes, I am Kit and my Father has ordered me to kill my friend Lyn, my slave technically, although we call them helots, unfortunates kept and made poor by our system. I am well trained to kill since age six; I have been tortured and starved to teach me to be manly. It hasn't worked all too well; for I am reluctant to kill my friend even though duty bound to find, pursue and kill him.

end part 1

opening sentence thanks to un-named and forgotten Corinthian delegate to Sparta-circa 420BC [ he was speaking of Athens but the points the same]

chasing his helot-part 2

fiction
edward w pritchard

see part 1

I never thought I would be using all my training in running to chase my Helot [slave] Lyn. I have been training myself to run, on top of the usual tortures and calisthenics we Spartan trainees must do. I have been training myself to run to catch a maiden, Hermione. She is twelve, a year older  than me and her peplem [skirt] is always short and split in the back and I can't quit thinking of her. We have a saying in Sparta, if you can't outrun your bride [ girlfriend] not only will you never catch her but she won't respect you.

Alas I am not chasing Hermione, I am chasing Lyn my slave, He is my friend but my Father has ordered me to kill him. I have been running and running after him. Lyn taught me to walk, then taught me to hold a sword, then he coached me daily to survive my training to be a Spartan warrior, taken from home and family at age 7. Now I must kill him, I don't want to and in reality he is a brutal adversary. Only his honor kept him a slave, for he was a captured foe, and feels honor bound not to escape. If he would want to escape, during the last 11 years he watched over me he could have escaped a hundred times. Now if I catch him and he should want to he could easily kill me with his sword; although I am no slouch, mastering what he taught me, but Lyn is a master at warfare.

end part2

Now for the real girl that Hermione was the ideal for:

Hermione,
I run away
not towards you
my eyes directed elsewhere
yet my heart is stuck
a traitor to our Spartan cause
help me my Father to be manly
and destroy without mercy
those who would harm me
you were there, my subconcious
speak in soldier's brutal talk
what you know and understand.

end

No comments:

Post a Comment