adbright

Thursday, October 13, 2011

For piano man Pete Johnson/Roll Em Pete; Walking my path, no sunshine, music lights the way

reposted and edited
10/13/2011

fiction
edward w pritchard


Monday, July 11, 2011


Roll Em Pete; Walking my path, no sunshine, music lights the way

To Pete Johnson piano man, in 1938 Pete played back up for Big Joe Turner on maybe the first Rock and Roll song, Roll Em Pete. Later poor Pete Johnson died down and out in obscurity despite his immense talent at blues piano music.

fiction
edward w pritchard


Each sad song was sung before, the dancing couples at the clubs come and go but the melody is the same.
Walking my path, no sunshine, music lights my way.

I played the boogie woogie and let Big Joe Turner shout and sing and shine.
Now and then his lyrics would wake audiences from their slumbers, so I played back-up.
Roll Em Pete; Walking my path, no sunshine, music lights the way

But the singer gets the credit, Big Joe is always the star.
Me, I just play piano boogie, and my struggle is always there.
Roll Em Pete; Walking my path, no sunshine, music lights the way

Other times my own boogie woogie blues melody lifts me from my sorrow.
Roll Em Pete; Walking my path, no sunshine, music lights the way

But life is very hard for me.
Traveling everywhere over this country to play just a little, no contract, no security, no renewals
I wash ice creams trucks and hearses for a little cash between gigs.
The crowds always cheer and follow the singer, but after the performance the tired piano man walks home alone.
When I got old, I cut off part of my finger fixing the car on the way to play, then I had a few strokes, still I had to play piano to survive.
During the 50's others harvested the crop I worked so hard to plant.
You Big Joe, I am glad you got it on, those innuendos fascinate the crowds.
I think I hear your voice Big Joe, but it's just a dream.
No one remembers me
Roll Em Pete, Walking my path, no sunshine, music lights the way

I still need the money and I am too old to do much else.
So I play piano with just one hand.  I had a stroke and every one's forgotten me.
It's winter, it's very cold and I am stuck in Buffalo, New York; far from the music scene.
Boogie this and boogie that, I am just struggling to get by.
Roll Em Pete, walking my path, no sunshine music lights the way

The young singers keep a shouting and collect all the dough but the piano players just come and go.
The blues had a baby and they called it rock and roll.
Life goes on, it's all been done before.
Someone a-new re-records your rhythms, blues becomes rock and roll.
Rock and roll singers write songs about blues singers writing songs.
Handsome new singers smile at the cameras while they can,
and everyone remembers the lyrics even after the song is done.

But the tune dies there on the keyboard

Posted by edward pritchard at 6:32 PM 0 comments Labels: boogie blues

No comments:

Post a Comment