adbright

Saturday, October 29, 2011

remember the day, remember the moment

remember the day, remember the moment

fiction
edward w pritchard

Of course I remember the day. It was a Friday; evening, a light rain was falling and my sports glasses were fogged. I had a slight sprain in my left wrist. But mostly I remember I was was thirsty and tired, very tired.

The moment is frozen. Just before, I glanced up for a fraction of a second and among many other things I saw a bright planet in the Eastern sky; at the East side of the stadium. It was odd for a planet to be visible in a light rain and I remember specifically that thought. I remember that was the last thought I had before my injury.

I didn't know the time then. Later on the way to the hospital I heard the guy in the Ambulance say to the driver I was hurt at 8:57. The announcer in the sportswriter's booth had wrote it down, just after my injury.

The last time I could walk, before I was paralyzed at the Panther's/ Kenworth high school football game was 8:57, October 23. Jupiter was in the East sky during a light rain. That was a long time ago but every October, usually on a cool Fall night a couple hours after dark I like to go out and look at Jupiter for a few minutes and remember how things used to be.
end

No comments:

Post a Comment