adbright

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

a remembered sorority girl is always beautiful

a remembered sorority girl is always beautiful

fiction
edward w Pritchard

A large commotion was going on at the hotel swimming pool. Alone after midnight working at the front desk I went out to investigate and saw and heard three girls partially dressed running toward the next hotel over, the fancy Hilton, next door to the one I worked at. Our pool was closed it being mid October but not drained I found out and a young girl had just fallen in. Her friends had left her to return to the Hilton next door where they were staying. It was supposed to be a quiet Sunday night after a minor holiday for me working the night shift as the night book keeper there at the desk.

The girl was out of the cold water, walking about freezing and didn't want to go back with her friends next door at the Hilton who had been mean to her, she said. She wanted to stay in the front with me for a while. I gave her a couple of blankets and threw her clothes into the hotel housekeeping dryers and brought her some hot tea from the restaurant. I had keys to everything and was in charge. She was about half drunk. She was very pretty which was why I was being interested. She tried to pull me on top over herself once when I first gave her some blankets and pillows. Working, and being a partial gentlemen I had resisted my urges and treated her like a customer in distress.

She slept a couple of hours and I found her some fancy Greek salads and pastries from a previous party out of the Hotel freezers.  I brought her dry clothes to her and let her take a shower in one of our empty rooms and gave her a sample toiletry pack. She returned to the front desk to talk to me. She went to Kent State the next college over from where I went. She was older than me by a few years and was a nursing student, an RN and was interesting to talk to. About six AM when the morning cook arrived she walked back to the Hilton to go back to the Sorority home with her friends. The cook, the old Greek guy, gave me a couple winks and told the girls in the bar later about my evening. One of the girls there was upset with me.

About three years later I was working as a furniture mover in a fancy high rise apartment on a Saturday morning. We were on an easy half day job.  I was a little hung over and still in college. The sorority girl who had fell in the pool saw me. She was in the lobby with her boyfriend who looked like an NFL linebacker. He was about six-six two hundred sixty pounds of muscle. She gave me a kiss on my cheek and a remarkable smile. She looked better than before. My boss, the furniture truck owner, a likable red neck guy who dropped out of school in tenth grade told a lot of stories about that kiss of my cheek when we stopped at local bars after work. Remembering back, drawing her picture from the recesses of my mind it's funny how a remembered sorority girl is always beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment