adbright

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A tribute to Louis L' Amour/ part 3

A tribute to Louis L' Amour/ part 3

several secret references to Louis L' amour created characters and situations in Sackett's; are done as tribute to Louis L' Amour

fiction
edward w pritchard

Like most men my age who has rode the trails or crossed the old West North to East I have a few enemies. The man with the red blotches on his face, John Wesley Hardin, everyone in the State of Indiana, the Smith brothers[ from Kansas] and a few others I suppose.  Every time I walk into a room at a diner, or ride down a street on my horse in a new town I have to imperceptibly scan every face for motive and political affiliation. Try doin that while lookin for that special girl at the same time and you will be on your way to being a real cowboy. I wanted to talk about special girls; I have had no more than a dozen, course a special girl can make a man lose his judgment and when a man out here in the West loses his judgment he might just as well lay down in his coffin for that where he is headed in the end.

Sometimes a woman can lose respect for a man if he is one who doesn't hit her and if he is kind to the children. She can secretly think him weak. When she is in trouble and requires assistance she will shame a man by turning to another for help. Then a man won't be able to look her in the eye and will turn to brooding and become dangerous. That's what happened to me, Goldstake  over, um, um well I forget her name but she was very special I tell you. Course that was a long time ago, now days one woman is pretty much the same as the next to me except my daughter, my granddaughter, her, that's private, and a few others who I never call on or talk to. Well it was over a woman that I got involved in a mess of troubles. My special woman was in trouble and hadn't ask me to help and I was plum ashamed and I became very dangerous. Course I butted in uninvited, we always do.

It was in that state of mind, brooding and dangerous that I set out on my request [sic] for revenge. I rode through some of the most beautiful Country under the Sun following the Ohio river higher and higher into Death Valley. I fought Apache's in New York and bandits at Boston stadium.

I came back a changed man. But then the real trouble started for me for that's when I met Dukata, the real woman of my dreams and I fell hard and ended up making a fool of myself and disgracing the Packett ancient family name. Packettere is our name, a respected name that goes back over 600 generations to the times when the Welsh defeated the Romans Centurions there at the battle of the Verdun in world war one.

Well Louis L' Amour has filled up another book about my adventures so I will have to "tell"  you-ins
later about me and Dukata, the girl of my dreams, at least she was for a few weeks. Look for the next installment of Packett volume 339 available in solid gold plate for ten thousand dollars, you can't afford to not own it.

Happy trails to you until we meet again,   don't fence me in,   Johnny Yuma was a rebel he rode through the West.
end part 4

.

No comments:

Post a Comment